Return to Map
NEW - EXPLORE THE SELDOM SEEN SOUTHERN COAST OF BRAZIL
Itanhaem, Cascavel, Rio de Janeiro, Iguassu Falls
October 7 to 21, 2014
- Acquaint yourself with Brazil in Rio de Janeiro with a three-night stay.
- Exploring Itanhaém on Brazil’s stunning coast south of Sao Paulo.
- Experience the friendly people, cuisine and multicultural influences in our home stay in Itanhaem and Cascavel.
- Explore Iguassu Falls, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, during a one-night excursion.
Our exchange will begin with a three-night stay in Rio de Janeiro where we will get a taste of the second largest city and cultural center of Brazil. Rio is a blend of old and new style, blending 16th century architecture with new, modern buildings. Some of the city’s distinct landmarks include the Biblioteca Nacional, one of the world’s largest libraries and the world-famous Christ the Redeemer statue. Rio de Janeiro is also the future site of the 2016 Summer Olympics.
After our trip to Rio, we will fly to the coast south of Sao Paulo to Itanhaem for a seven-night home stay with our Friendship Force hosts. There we will enjoy the famed Latin hospitality and a side of Brazil seldom seen. Itanhaém, about two hours south of Sao Paulo, is the second oldest city in Brazil. The city is surrounded by tropical Atlantic Forest that is home to a variety of indeginous animals including colorful birds and jaguars. Itanhaém also has many picturesque beaches and waterfalls.
We will fly from Itanhaem to Cascavel, a city whose name literally translates to “rattlesnake”. Our hosts are eager to introduce us to their multi-cultural region, which has been influenced by indigenous peoples as well as Italian, German, Polish, Ukrainian, and Portuguese immigrants. In Cascavel, we will explore this unique culture at parties and other events; we will learn about the industry, stores and factories that make up their economy; and our hosts will introduce us to the unique cuisine of the Parana Region of Brazil.
Following our home stay, our final stop on our journey will be a one-night stay at the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Iguassu Falls. We will tour this beautiful area and enjoy the Falls from the Brazilian side. After Iguassu, we will be free to travel independently or return home.
We look forward to seeing you in Brazil!
Exchange begins in Rio de Janeiro (GIG airport code) and ends in Iguassu Falls (IGU airport code)
$140 Visa required for Brazil.
$2200 USD includes FFI and host fees, homestays, hotels, internal airfare and transfers, land tours. International air not included.
Return to Map
NEW - EXPERIENCE THE CULTURAL DIVERSITY OF BRAZIL, SOUTH AMERICA’S LARGEST COUNTRY
Rio de Janeiro, Curitiba, Santo Angelo and Iguassu Falls, Brazil
October 13 to November 1, 2014
- Enjoy the magical setting of Rio de Janeiro and view the world famous statue of Christ the Redeemer.
- A day trip by train in Curitiba where you’ll see wonderful waterfalls and beautiful landscapes.
- A day trip to the historic town of São Miguel das Missões, a Unesco World Heritage site.
- Enjoy the warmth and hospitality of the Brazilian people with two homestays provided to our group.
- View extraordinary Iguassu Falls from the Brazil and Argentina sides.
Meet us in Rio de Janeiro on October 13. We’ll begin our journey on a 20-day discovery adventure to the fascinating country of Brazil!
This program begins with a three-night hotel stay in Rio near Copacabana beach. We’ll have a two full-day guided tour to the Sugar Loaf, Corcovado and Santa Teresa - a great chance to get acquainted with the city and our fellow travelers.
Next we’ll fly south to meet with our hosts in Curitiba. We’ll enjoy day trips to colonial Morretes city and the Vila Velha State Park, featuring unique sandstone formations. After our 7-night homestay, we say farewell to our new friends in Curitiba and fly to the southern state of Brazil, Porto Alegre.
Our hosts from the FF of Santo Angelo will pick us up from the airport and take us on a four hour bus ride to the small city of Santo Angelo where we’ll get to know them better in another 7-nights homestay experience. Our hosts will proudly show us their “Gauchos” hospitality. Gauchos are people born in this part of Brazil, with a culture of their own. We’ll visit their history and museums, and we may even take a day trip to the ruins of Sao Miguel das Missoes.
From Santo Angelo, we’ll travel by bus to the magnificent Iguassu Falls where we will stay in a hotel for two nights. I can't wait to share with you this place, it is so amazing! This is a UNESCO site, with the most dramatic waterfalls in the world. I have been there before, and am looking forward to seeing it again. We will tour both the Brazilian and Argentinean Falls.
On the morning of November 1st, we can go to the airport in Iguassu Falls to fly back home or you may continue on to more adventures to South America on your own arrangement.
Come join us for this exciting Brazilian adventure.
$2,200 USD. Includes FFI and host fees, domestic tickets in Brazil, 5 nights in hotels, entrance fees, transfers, English-speaking guide tours, and some meals.
- Provided by the Friendship Force Clubs of Coatepec.
Return to Map
CELEBRATE DÍA DE LOS MUERTOS IN MEXICO
Mexico City, Taxco, Puebla, Jalapa and Oaxaca and Coatepec, Mexico
October 14 to November 4, 2014
- 11 days of language classes and homestay in Coatepec, Mexico plus 10 days of pre/post tours including Mexico City, Taxco, Puebla, Jalapa and Oaxaca
- Lunch on a boat at the Floating Gardens of Xochimilico
- 2 magnificent folkloric ballets, one in Mexico City at Bellas Artes, and one in the ancient city of Oaxaca
- Visits to ancient historical sites and pyramids, including Teotihuacan, Mitla, and Monte Alban
- Amazing experience celebrating The Day of the Dead
This will be an exciting chance to immerse yourself in Mexican culture while learning and practicing Spanish first-hand. Following the pre-tour, we will be home hosted by members of The Friendship Force of Coatepec. Coatepec is situated near the east coast and the Gulf of Mexico. During our 10 night/11 day home stay we will have 5 days of language lessons and will enjoy spending time at home with our new Mexican families, visiting local sights and practicing our Spanish.
After our homestay, we will transfer to Oaxaca for our visit to Monte Alban and for the fascinating cemetery tour on the eve of the Day of the Dead. We finish by transferring back to Mexico City for our farewell dinner. For those whose primary language is not English, we have a guide who also speaks French, Portuguese, Italian and some German.
Please contact the ED.
Return to Map
NEW - DIVE INTO THE INCREDIBLE LIFESTYLE, CULTURE, AND CUISINE OF BRAZIL
Sao Paulo, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, Rio de Janeiro, Iguassu Falls
October 18 to November 1, 2014
- Make friends with our Friendship Force hosts in Brazil.
- Enjoy the unique flavors of Brazil’s cuisine and music influenced by Indian, African, Italian, Portuguese, Arab and Japanese cultures.
- Experience the vibrancy of Sao Paulo, the largest city of the western hemisphere.
- Optional trip to view extraordinary Iguassu Falls, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Come join FF Long Island on our exciting trip to Brazil. We’ll be flying to Sao Jose do Rio Preto from Sao Paulo and spend the week exploring the museums, historical places and areas of interest outside of the city. FF Sao Jose do Rio Preto is proud of the friendly atmosphere and wonderful hospitality they provide to ambassadors. Some highlights typically offered by the club include a visit to the best among the large number of Brazilian Barbecue houses, bars and coffee shops. There is opportunity to visit some ancient, XIX Century coffee farms and huge sugar cane mills producing sugar and ethanol, the bio-fuel that powers 80% of Brazil's cars.
We will spend the following week exploring the sights and history of Sao Paulo. São Paulo is the biggest cultural center of Latin America with influences of several cultures, including Indians, Africans, Italians, Portuguese, Germans, Arabians, and Japanese.There are a great variety of parks, monuments, theaters, museums and attractions. There is so much to do and our friendly hosts are more than happy to introduce us to their beautiful city!
The main attraction of this exchange is learning about the Brazilian customs and lifestyles, and, most importantly, meeting the friendly Brazilian people! We are lucky to have two wonderful clubs to introduce us to their ways of life and help us get to know the customs of Brazilian people.
After the homestay, some of us are extending our stay and visiting Iguassu Falls for a few days and then flying on to Rio de Janeiro. We’ll be returning to New York on November 7th. The cost of the trip including this extension runs about $4000 with airfare and the homestays.
If you are interested, please contact us and we will give you more information.
$700 USD, includes FFI fees and host fees. Does not include extension to Iguassu Falls or airfare. For the optional tour fees please contact the ED.
Return to Map
NEW - EXPERIENCE TRADITIONAL CHILEAN HOSPITALITY
Santiago and La Serena, Chile
(Optional trip to Buenos Aires and Iguazu Falls, Argentina)
October 31 to November 15, 2014
- Boat trip to the sea lion, penguin, and dolphin reserve at Damas Island
- Excursion to Vicuña and the famed Mamalluca Observatory with the chance for nighttime telescopic observation of the planets and stars.
- Excursion to to the port city of Coquimbo
- Explore the beautiful parks, architecture, shopping, and restaurants of Santiago
- Excursion to Valparaiso, home to the Chilean National Congress and “Little San Francisco” a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
November is late Spring in Chile and one of the best times of the year for a visit. Santiago de Chile is the capital with a metro area population of 5.4 million. Santiago sits at 1,700 feet above sea level and the Andes Mountains are visible in most parts of the city. La Serena is about 300 miles north of Santiago and is the capital of the Coquimbo Region with a population of 200,000 people. A summertime tourist destination, La Serena is famous for its beautiful beaches. The city has a cool desert climate that will probably range from 60°-70° F during our stay. La Serena is the home of several well known observatories and has become a center of astronomical research. La Serena “The City of Churches” is famous for its own architectural style known as Colonial Revival.
Exchange only: $2536 USD
(Estimate includes airfare to/from Miami & within South America, ambassador & club host fees, ground transportation to/from airports and contingency deposit. Optional tour estimate also includes all lodging, guided tours, airport transfers, Argentina Reciprocity fee, group tips to tour guides, National Park admission fees, 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 1 dinner.) Not included: Transportation to/from Miami gateway airport, travel insurance and meals on your own.
Exchange and optional tour: $4604 USD.
- Provided by an FFI partner, The One Love Learning Foundation Montego, Bay, Jamaica.
Return to Map
NEW - CONSTRUCT A SEEDLING NURSERY IN JAMAICA, A NEW FF DESTINATION!
Montego Bay, Jamaica
November 10 to 16, 2014
- Explore Montego Bay, Jamaica, a new destination for Friendship Force international
- Swing into action in partnership with The One Love Learning Foundation
- Visit an authentic Rastafarian family
- Learn how to weave walls from palm leaves
- Enjoy a farm to table dinner, enjoying produce from the farm and the LOVE TRIBE drummers and dancers
Friendship Force International partners with the One Love Learning Foundation in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Ambassadors are offered the opportunity to get into action on this discovery exchange where participants join local friends in the community of Content in effort to construct an organic seedling nursery at Highland House Farms. The farm is the home of a seven acre organic garden serving youth in Jamaica. The One Love Learning Foundation seeks to open up a whole new world to these children, feeding them in body, mind and soul through gardening, cultural exchange, and arts programs.
$1645 USD, includes FFI and host fees.